Sunday, May 3, 2009

Karen Armstrong




In the rare moments I have had recently for anything other than work, schoolwork, other necessary business, and sleep, I have been attempting to make a little time for personal reading. I recently finished When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris (I am a huge fan) and am now reading Buddha by Karen Armstrong. I have been wanting to read one of her books ever since hearing her interviewed on both Bill Moyers Journal and
Speaking of Faith
. She is a wonderful refreshing blend of articulate, wise, insightful, and thoughtful, and directs her talents towards the study of the history of religion, a topic which has become one of endless fascination to me. I chose to start w/ Buddha for obvious reasons, and the book does not disappoint.

I have been underlining like mad, as much of what she writes resonates strongly with me. It has also deepened my understanding of a subject I thought I was well acquainted with by placing it in a historical context more fully fleshed out than any I have read before.

I also am enjoying, for some reason, her use of Pali terms rather than the more familiar Sanskrit. Thus, 'nirvana' becomes 'nibbana', dharma becomes 'dhamma', etc.

“The Buddha believed that a selfless life would introduce men and women to Nibbana. Monotheists would say that it would bring them into the presence of God. But the Buddha found the notion of a personalized deity too limiting, because it suggested that the supreme Truth was only another being. Nibbana was neither a personality nor a place like Heaven. The Buddha always denied the existence of any absolute prin­ciple or Supreme Being, since this could be another thing to cling to, another fetter and impediment to enlightenment.

“Like the doctrine of the Self, the notion of God can also be used to prop up and inflate the ego. The most sensitive monotheists in Judaism, Christianity and Islam would all be aware of this danger and would speak of God in ways that are reminiscent of the Buddha’s reticence about Nibbana. They would also in­sist that God was not another being, that our notion of “exis­tence” was so limited that it was more accurate to say that God did not exist and that “he” was Nothing.

“But on a more popu­lar level, it is certainly true that “God” is often reduced to an idol created in the image and likeness of “his” worshipers. If we imagine God to be a being like ourselves writ large, with likes and dislikes similar to our own, it is all too easy to make “him” endorse some of our most uncharitable, selfish and even lethal hopes, fears and prejudices. This limited God has thus contributed to some of the worst religious atrocities in history.

“The Buddha would have described belief in a deity who gives a seal of sacred approval to our own selves as “un­skillful”: it could only embed the believer in the damaging and dangerous egotism that he or she was supposed to transcend. Enlightenment demands that we reject any such false prop. It seems that a “direct” yogic understanding of anatta ('no self') was one of the chief ways in which the early Buddhists experienced Nibbana. And, indeed, the Axial Age faiths all insist in one way or another that we will only fulfill ourselves if we practice total self-abandonment. To go into religion to “get” some­thing, such as a comfortable retirement in the afterlife, is to miss the point.

6 comments:

  1. Amy,
    Thanks for this post. I've never read Armstrong's work before but she is definitely on the list now.

    In college I majored in History, with a concentration in religion (but - of course - it primarily focused on European Christian history). To go back even farther... I still remember checking out my first religion book at the library when I was 10 years old. It was "The Five Great Religions" and it was the first time I had ever heard of Hinduism or Buddhism... and it began what looks like will be a lifelong topic of interest on my life journey...

    Thanks again. It's so good to see you back here.
    Peace.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Val. I think I would like to read her "A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam" next. She is wonderful at placing things in context.
    Her personal story is interesting too, she was a Catholic nun at a very young age, then left and was areligious for years. Her newest book is a memoir, I may have read that too.

    I think I remember that 5 Religions book! Or one very like it. I also remember a Time/Life sort of coffee table book on religions (not on our coffee table, but tucked away on a lower bookshelf) that I was fascinated by.

    I would love to take some religious history courses someday. For now I will content myself w/ Karen Armstrong, I guess.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amy, no idea how I got here but I've read Armstrong's "History of God" as all cultural history fascinates me. I feel like I may learn things here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to read, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Titus~ Wow, thanks. I just got "History of God", I hope to make time for it soon.

    SoapBoxTech~ So so true...

    ReplyDelete
  6. KAREN ARMSTRONG: I wish that you would help with the creation, launch and propagation of a Charter for Compassion -- crafted by a group of inspirational thinkers from the three Abrahamic traditions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, and based on the fundamental principle of the Golden Rule.

    Talmudic Judaism:

    Second century Rabbi Simeon ben Yohai, one of Judaism’s very greatest rabbis and a creator of Kabbalah, sanctioned pedophilia—permitting molestation of baby girls even younger than three! He proclaimed,

    “A proselyte who is under the age of three years and a day is permitted to marry a priest.” 1
    Yebamoth 60b,

    Quranic Islam:
    Prophet Muhammad thighed Aisha for 3 years & then had full sexual intercourse with the child when she was 9.

    Jesus of Nazareth:

    "I am the Way, the Truth & the Life, no one comes to the Father but by Me"! (John 14:6)

    ReplyDelete