Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow!


It is snowing in Maryland today, and how. 8 inches and counting. After a long dry mild stretch, it is a real treat. Winter's last hurrah perhaps, as signs of spring are everywhere. I love snow with a passion and although I have lived in Maryland my entire life (except for one year in CA, but that is for another post) I have always felt I belonged in a snowier clime. Perhaps it is my Swedish heritage, or just the fact that it did snow a whole lot more often when I was a child. I’m sure of it. In any case, I am rejoicing today.

The snow has also been useful for me this morning, as an anchor to come back to the present. My mind is very busy and emotional, perhaps even more than usual lately. I constantly throughout the day remember to ‘snap out of it’ and come present, if only for a few seconds (thank you meditation!). But days like today, the ceaseless swirl of tedious repetitive thoughts is particularly strong, and so it is such a balm to turn that off and admire the pristine beauty of the snow outlining everything in the garden, and to feel the pleasant sting on my cheeks. I wish I could dwell there more often before my tedious ego intrudes again, demanding attention like a small child…

Namaste.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you meditation indeed. At least now that I am practicing I have half a chance to comeback to mindfulness at any given moment. Now I can see that I lived so much of my life with the monkey mind absolutely spinning out of control....

    I love snow. I love four seasons and I'm always ready for spring by the time it gets here, but I'm always a little sad to see winter go too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's difficult isn't it? To turn "off" the brain? For many years I thought I was the only one who felt like my brain was like a reel-to-reel tape playerin constant "PLAY" mode. The only time "PLAY" mode would cease is if I hit the "REWIND" or "FAST FORWARD" button. Both of which were just as annoying and disturbing. And all three of which kept me from living my life - the life I have right now at this very moment - to it's fullest.

    As you say, it is recognizing that being present in a moment -wherever and whenever- that will give you serenity.

    Great beginning on the blog... I look forward to reading what you have to say to this world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And...
    Chodron, Hahn, Berry, Abbey, Rumi? You and I are going to have a lot to talk about... : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forest Wisdom: "Monkey mind" has long been one of my favorite expressions! So apt!

    Val: Well said, and thank you *so* much for your encouraging words! I have just discovered your blog, and am enjoying it very much. You all set a very high standard...
    As for those favorite folks, yes, I definitely feel I have found some kindred spirits here. I look forward to lots of good talk.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,

    Many thanks for the name of the paper bush! I'm so happy to know and that you visited neglected beauty. Come again!

    BTW-I love this picture of the white stuff, finally. It's very zen.

    ReplyDelete